Thursday, April 16, 2009

Neitzsche, Freidrich


The vignette titled "The Parable of a Madman" written by Freidrich Neitzsche is powerful by the least. It tells the story of a madman who rushes into the marketplace early in the morning proclaiming that God is dead, and it is the people that have killed him. His works are very modernist in their ideas, as can be seen through this tale. Neitzsche is straying away from old romantic era of the beauty and sublime of nature and saying that God is dead. I think that this can be considered modern because what I think that he is trying to say that the people killed God with the new revolution and changes in the world. This is modernist in that he is taking into account the importance of the changing time and the time stream itself. And on a basic level it is modern because he is saying God is dead. That is a very disturbing thought for him time period. I am still a little confused about the ideas of modernism and think that what I have written may be completely wrong, however the one thing that is clear to me is that that story was very different than others that I have read from around the same time-period.

No comments:

Post a Comment