Friday, February 20, 2009

Basquiat, what an art sounding name.























Earlier in the week we watched movies about different artists whose stories are important in understanding the story of art and artists as a whole. One video we watched was about Jean Michele Basquiat. His story was interesting to me especially because it was more contemporary then the ones we watched about Van Goh and such. It showed how he came from being a construction worker-esque job while pursuing his art work and finally became an artist. His story portrayed to me what I feel is one of the stereotypes of an artist in the sense that he was very out there as a person and with his art. I think it was best demonstrated to me in the scene with Andy Warhol when he is painting the Amaco mural. It showed how distraught he had become and how confused and possibly under the influence of drugs. It seemed like he had become lost in all his fame and had lost a part of himself. Even after he strived for so long to become famous it somehow consumed him and tore him apart. He then says he is going to go away and write poetry and play music again. It seemed to me like he was looking to find his former self without all the fame and confusion of being a known artist because I think this actually stifled him instead of liberating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment